Saturday, April 14, 2012

Baked Potato Quiche: Mama's got it Loaded!

Eggs being as cheap as they were last week for Easter, I decided to buy a little extra.  I am Always up for a 'good' deal.  I was getting so tired of boiled eggs, having been hunted, added to Potato salad and also made into egg salad.  So, I needed a change up and I thought, why not make a quiche.  The first quiche I ever had was cooked by Mama, back in the 70's, they were all the rage.  I have been making them since.

A quiche is basically a custard with vegetables and/or meats added.  After you get the basics down, only your imagination can stop, just how many different kind of quiches you will be able to make.

Ingredients

5 Eggs
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup milk
1/2 sour cream
1 1/2 cup mild cheddar cheese ( I use hoop cheese)
1/2 cup sharp cheddar
2 potatoes
1/2 pound bacon
5 green onions
2 tablespoons chives
1 refrigerated pie crust
salt & cracked black pepper
Canola oil

If you are not a fan of pork, you can substitute turkey ham.  Just dice up your turkey ham and fry it off in a little canola oil.  I do not recommend turkey bacon.

                                Slice & Dice


Do your slicing and dicing first.  Peel your potatoes and dice them, medium dice.  Place your diced potato in a bowl of 'cold' water, set aside.

Slice your green onions and set aside.

Place your bacon in the freezer for around 45 minutes before slicing.  This will make it so much easier for you to slice your bacon.

Slice across the bacon strips to make an 1/2 inch dice.

Fry it!
Place your bacon in your frying pan, turn the burner on a med/low heat.  Crisp your bacon and set aside.

The reason why you want to put your bacon in a cold pan and then turn on your burner is, this coupled with the lower heat, will help you render out most of the fat.

Drain your bacon grease, place the frying pan back on the stove, med/low heat, add 2 tablespoons (More if needed, you do not want dry potatoes) of canola oil and fry your potatoes until they are brown and cooked through.

The last minute, turn your heat up to medium/high, add your green onions and saute.  Drain off the oil.

On a plate, place your potatoes, green onions and bacon.  Allow them to completely cool.

As they are cooling, top those ingredients with your chives.

                              Whisk Away!


In a bowl add all your eggs and beat, as if you were making scrambled eggs.  Set aside.

In another bowl add your sour cream, milk, cracked black pepper, a touch of salt and stir.

Remember :  You are adding bacon and it contains a lot of salt.

Add your sour cream and milk mixture to your eggs and mix, just until incorporated.  Set aside.

The Dreaded Pie Crust!
Mama used frozen pastry pie crust, ever since I can remember.  The women could put up some dumplings that made you want to put your head in the bowl and just inhale the goodness, screw the stink'in napkins, you know what I mean.  But apparently we do not possess the pie crust gene.

You can also use a frozen pie shell, not a thing wrong with that but, I find the refrigerator versions that are out there, are far superior.  Those are the ones I recommend.  I know Mama later on also used the refrigerator pie crust.  If you do use a frozen pie shell, use the deep dish variety.

I used an 8 inch disposable cake pan, instead of a pie plate.  When plating I find it so much easier and I like the presentation.  I want you to butter and lightly flour the cake pans.  This will help with the un-molding of the quiche.

Place your crust in your cake pan and gently (using your knuckle) push the pie crust out to the edges and up the sides.  Do not push hard on the sides, as you do not want to thin it out too much.  Roll the excess crust to make a small edge around the cake pan.  Make sure you keep your crust cold until you are ready to use it and also, if the crust gets a bit warm after molding it into your cake pan.  Place your crust in the refrigerator for 5 minutes and then continue with the next step.

The Cheese!
I have used two cheeses, I like the hoop cheese as it has a great melting quality and I use the sharp for that little bit of a kick we all like.  As with all quiches you make, this is yours, add what kind of cheese you like.

This is one part of this recipe you really can just use what you like but, try to mix the cheeses so you have a good melting one and then a smaller portion for the vibrant flavored cheese.

Place & Pour
In your pastry shell, add your potato mixture, making sure it is well distributed. You do not want one person to get all the bacon (and it not be you now), so move things around.

Place your cheeses on top of your potatoes and make sure to evenly distribute the cheese.

Then top it all off with your egg custard.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes at 375 degrees.  All ovens vary so, you are looking for a pie that does not jiggle and feels firm to the touch in the middle.

Make sure to allow your quiche to set for 10 minutes until you try take the shell out of the pan to plate it.

                                             Show it Off!
You have worked so hard for this rich and delicious dish, why just serve it out of the tin.  get your best cake plate and place your crowning glory on it and display this lovely quiche.

This is the reason why I use a disposable cake tin, so I am able to cut it and slide the quiche out and place it on its mantle.

                                       Yep, Mama Loaded it!
I will be making a simple salad with a ground mustard vinaigrette, this helps cut the richness of my quiche and makes for a perfect combination. It is like having a sweet piece of cake but, you cut the sweetness with a scoop of ice cream.

For a few recipes I use for special occasions, like holidays and when guest are coming, please visit some of my other recipes...

Potato Salad:  Done Mama's Way!

Orange Compound Butter

I would like to thank my friend Jamie for helping me make this article.  No one can hold a whisk like she can.:).

All photographs are the property of Denise O.  Do not use unless you get 'my' written permission. All written material is owned by Denise O, it will not be 'used' (sharing my article is different, it is acceptable and appreciated) without 'my' written permission.  Just keeping it real folks.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment