Sunday, April 1, 2012

It's a Bugg's World: This Dog Wants food!

I have made my dogs their food long before these two guys were in my life.  I find they are worth it and by making it myself, I know what is in it and that is very important to me and them.





                            Ingredients


Lentils are Good, for You & Your Dog
10 pound Turkey (defrosted)

6 cups brown rice

3 cups grated carrots

1 cup dried lentils 

2 potatoes grated (skin left on and washed)

Turkey liver (taken from inside of the turkey carcass)


Ask your veterinarian what foods your pet can eat and then see what kinds of vegetables they like.  Our last two guys Boo & max just loved spinach, I can't get these guys to place it in their mouths for more than a few seconds, then it is spit out on the floor. 


Skin It


I recommend that you use plastic gloves and also, that you do this task in your kitchen sink. 

This makes for a lot easier clean up. 

After your turkey is defrosted. 

Put on your gloves on, grab a hold of the skin, at the top of the turkey.

Place your knife at the top of the breast meat, where the skin starts.

Cut a slit down the middle of the skin, not piercing the flesh.

Flip the turkey over and repeat on the backside.


Pull & Slide


Take your knife and place it between the skin and the flesh.

As you come to a piece of skin that is connected to the flesh. 

Slide the knife through the white filmy part, as you are pulling the skin away from the flesh.

Do this all around the turkey, front and back.

I try to get as much of the skin off of the legs as I can and just leave the rest.

I do not even bother with the wings, it seems to be more trouble than it is worth. 

This will only add a little bit of fat and it will not hurt your dog in the least bit.


Make Crack'lin


Lay the turkey skin on a cookie sheet. Lined with tin foil.

Place your skinless turkey in a stock pan. 

Add water to your stock pot, trying to cover as much of your turkey as you can. 

If your lid will fit on your pot, cover with the lid. If not, cover the pot with tin foil.  Reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours.

Place your cookie sheet with the turkey skin on it and place it in the oven (350 degrees) for 1 hour.

*If your turkey is not 'all the way' defrosted or you have a turkey that is bigger than 10 pounds. You may have to cook it a bit longer. 

The dogs do not care about the texture of the meat, you are not cooking for a human being. I have taken one turkey from the state of almost frozen and cooked it slowly in some water. 

The meat would not fit for us human beings but, the dog does not mind, they only want meat.


                         Add A little Veggie




Grate your carrots, it has taken me around 5 carrots to make 3 cups. I am not exact, I usually do it by eye. No diabetic here, so a few veggies will not hurt them.

Grate your potatoes. Place both the carrots and potatoes in a bowl of cold water and set aside.

Cook your brown rice, according to the package directions.  When done,  set aside.


Lentils Are Good!


There are a few steps I do while cooking my lentils, so the dogs do not have a problem with gas. When I say rinse or discard, please do. 

Do I need to say more.

Wash your lentils, place them in a pan, add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil.

Add a lid, turn the burner down to a simmer. Simmer for 40 minutes.  Pour the lentils in a strainer. 

Discard the lentil juice! 

Rinse your lentils and the pan in which you cooked them in! 

Place your lentils back in the pan.

Add two cups of water to the pan.  Set aside.


                          Veggie it Up!




Drain your potatoes and carrots.  Place your pan of lentils and water on stove. Add your Turkey liver.

Turn the burner on high, then add your potatoes and carrots to your lentils.

Bring to a boil, cover and set aside, off the hot burner and do not remove the cover. 

There will be enough heat trapped in the pan to cook the vegetables and liver.


Almost there Bugg


Grab your (clean) plastic gloves and start taking the turkey meat off of the carcass.

Remember, this is for your dogs, they are able to eat all, that is not bone or cartilage. 

Make sure you watch the bones around the leg meat. 

Why I love the plastic gloves: I can really get into it and get all that I can from this one bird. I am also able to feel for small bones.

Mix your brown rice, lentil/vegetables and turkey in two bowls.

I will put one bowl full in a plastic freezer bag and place it in the freezer for later this week.

The other bowl goes in the refrigerator for them to start enjoying as soon as it is dinner time.

Of course, I did not forget the turkey skin. When you take the skin out of the oven, drain off the fat. 

When the skin is completely cooled, break the skin up into pieces. Place the pieces in a bag and put in your refrigerator. I use them for training treats.

Just do not forget to keep a bit of the skin, to top off their first days dinner, with a crunchy piece of Turkey crackling.


Dinner time Almost


Do not forget to take this time to make this a lesson taught...

Make them sit and stay, before each meal.  Most dogs will take a mile, if you give them a inch, so keep control.

You can substitute the meat of your choice with this recipe. 

Also the vegetables. but... 

Just do your homework and make sure, you know what is good for your dog.

Not all 'people food' is good for our furry guys. 

Consult your veterinarian on any changes you want to make with your dogs dietary needs.


                         He is Worth it!



With a daily vitamin and other snacks throughout the day.  I know Bugg and his buddy Sweet Tee, will be healthy and able to stay with us for a long time to come. 

I REPEAT: Gain your knowledge of 'people food' you can feed your dog, before you change your dogs diet 

Some 'people food', can kill them!


All photographs are the property of Denise O.  Do not use unless you get 'my' written permission. All written material is owned by Denise O, it will not be 'used' (sharing my article is different, it is acceptable and appreciated) without 'my' written permission.  Just keeping it real folks.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment