Monday, February 25, 2013

Corned Beef Sandwich: Honey, Mustard & Grape Seed Oil Slaw

Yes we are approaching that time of year that those of us that are not Irish, become so on St. Patrick's Day.  I will be making my corned beef & Cabbage dinner, just like Mama did.



Bit Irish


Mama always made us corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick's Day and she made sure to make enough corned beef so we could have sandwiches the next day.  Mama and the rest of the family have always loved thousand island dressing, so they would make a reuben sandwich.  I just made mine by adding mustard, tomato and lettuce.  As I grew up my taste also grew up and so I came up with this recipe that takes in to account, all the tastes of the corned beef sandwich I had growing up, just in a more mature way.

Ingredients

This recipe will make 4 sandwiches.

2 pounds corned beef

1/2 head cabbage (small)

3 tomatoes (depending on the size)

1/2 cup grape seed oil

2 1/2 tablespoons ground mustard (I like to use course mustard)

1 tablespoon honey

1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper

1 Tablespoon salt

8 slices of rye bread

I prefer to use rye bread but, use what 'you' like when making a corned beef sandwich.  Also, if you would like to use more corned beef than I suggested, be my guest and who could blame you.

Sweet & Spicy


Slice your cabbage fairly thin, add to a colander, sprinkle with salt, toss and set aside for thirty minutes.  In the meantime slice your tomatoes and set aside.

In a medium size mixing bowl add, mustard, honey, grape seed oil, cracked black pepper and mix well, set aside.  When thirty minutes are up, rinse your cabbage with 'cold' water and drain well.  If you have a salad spinner, spin it well or if not, take a towel or some paper towels and get off as much of the water as you are able.  Add your cabbage to your dressing and mix well.

The Grain

I allow my slaw to sit on the counter for 30 minutes before using, it allows time for all the flavors to mix and mingle.

You can use deli corned beef and it will still turn out to be a good sandwich but, to make it great sandwich, make your own corned beef and you slice it.

Remember to 'always' cut against 'the grain' and make your slices thin, you can pack on as many pieces as you like but, your corned beef has a better flavor and texture when you slice it thin.

I thought, how will I tell my readers why I salted the cabbage well, as most of y'all know, cabbage can be a bit gassy.  With my husband, I know this all too well.

The salt & rinse method seems to damper this one side effect of eating cabbage that most of us wish was not there.

Assembly Line


All you have to do now is to make an assembly line and let the family make their own, so they are able to have it their way.

Place out that thousand island, Swiss cheese or what you feel your family will like and then you too, will come up with 'your' favorite sandwich.

My Way...


I really wish you would try your corned beef sandwich my way, I know you will not be disappointed, I know I my family loves them.  Happy St. Patrick's Day to you and yours.:)

Here are a few recipes of mine that just might tickle your fancy...

Corned Beef & Cabbage Dinner

Club Sandwich: Turkey, Ham, Bacon & cheese, Oh My!

All photographs are the property of Denise O.  Do not use unless you get 'my' written permission. All written material is owned by Denise O, it will not be 'used' (sharing my article is different, it is acceptable and appreciated) without 'my' written permission.  Just keeping it real folks.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment